- Quinoa Whole Grain – 1 cup
- Whole Skinned Urad dal – 1/2 cup
- Rice – 1 cup
- Salt as needed
- 5 whole black peppercorns per idli
Method for preparing batter:
- The urad dal needs to be soaked for 4-5 hours
- Combine the quinoa and rice, then soak in water for 4-5 hours
- Once urad dal is properly soaked, blend by adding half a cup of chilled water. Whip until fluffy and keep it aside.
- Grind the quinoa and rice mix into a paste adding very little water to prevent it from getting too diluted. Grind it in 2 separate batches for ease.
- Mix both batters and add the and let it ferment overnight for approximately 7 hours.
- Put in the black peppercorns when filling in the idli plates to make sure you don’t put too much in one idli.
Making the idlis:
- Take an idli steamer with idli plates and grease the plates well to avoid sticking.
- Swirl the batter and pour in the idli batter.
- Once the water in the steamer has come to a boil insert the idli plates and cook for 10-15 minutes.
- Let it cool for for 7 minutes once removed
- Serve with fresh coconut chutney, sambar and gun powder!
This batter can be stored for 2-3 days and you can also use this to make dosa.