- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 potato
- 1 inch grated ginger
- cilatro finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp red chili flakes
- salt to taste
- 1-2 tsp panko bread crumbs
- 4-5 tbsp oil
- 1 medium red onion
- 1 medium ripe tomatoes
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 2 inch ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1tsp cumin seed
- 2 tsp all purpose masala – recipe here or 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 10 pistachio
- salt to taste
Cook the quinoa: one part quinoa and two parts water. Keep water to boil and add quinoa, leave sit at sim till it is cooked. Add mashed cooked potatoes, ginger, cumin, chili, salt and bread crumbs and make small balls. Shallow fry on the gas stove with 4-5 tbsp oil. Or roast in oven. I have seen working on stove top is faster and better. Keep aside.
- Blend onion, tomato, red bell pepper ginger, keep aside.
- For tomatoes, if you need to remove skin before blending, poke a skewer or fork, rotate it over an open flame, the skin will shrink and tear and will be easy to peel off once it’s a bit cool. Same for red bell pepper.
- Blend pistachio into fine paste.
- Take oil in a a saucepan, heat, add cumin, let it splatter, add the ginger-onion-tomato paste and roast till it starts leaving sides, let it simmer till thick. Add pistachio paste.
- Now add multipurpose masala, cumin powder, salt, turmeric and salt to taste. If you need it a bit spicy, add red chili powder, roast for a minute or two.
- Add 2 cups of water and add the kofta. Bring to a boil, add chopped cilantro for garnish. Add the kofta just before serving.
The red bell pepper adds the nice rich red color to the curry.
Serve with puris, naan or cumin rice.