Recipe type: Burger, Vegetarian, Gluten Free, Vegan Friendly
Prep time: 30 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
Total time: 1 hr 20 mins
Yield: Makes 9 patties + 1 cup of sauce
Serving Size: 3 patties + 1/4 cup sauce
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 extra large eggs
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped finely (about 1/2 medium onion)
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp refined coconut oil, divided
For the sauce
- 1/2 avocado, cut into chunks
- 1 cup packed fresh cilantro (about 1 bunch)
- 1/2 garlic clove, germ removed, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp lime juice (about 1 large lime)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp water
- Cook quinoa. Place quinoa in a fine-mesh strainer and rinse thoroughly with cool water for at least 2 minutes. Drain. Rinsing quinoa before cooking will remove its natural bitter or soapy taste. Transfer to a medium saucepan, cover with stock or water, cover with a lid and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook for 15 minutes on the lowest setting. Turn off the heat and let stand covered for 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Prepare mashed sweet potatoes. Place potato chunks in a medium pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook until they are very tender. Drain and mash sweet potato in your food processor (you can also mash them manually but make sure they’re very smooth).
- In a large bowl, add cooked quinoa, 1 cup mashed sweet potatoes (you may have more than 1 cup but don’t add more or less than that), eggs, onion, cumin, coriander, paprika and salt. Mix until well combined.
- In a large skillet, heat 1/2 tbsp coconut oil over medium heat. When hot, form patties with quinoa mixture (about 1/3 cup each), place them in the skillet and flatten them a little. Make sure you don’t overcrowd the skillet. Cook for 7 minutes undisturbed. Flip patties very gently with a spatula and cook for another 7-8 minutes. You want to cook them gently, so they are brown on the outside and cooked all the way through inside. Place patties in warm oven. Repeat with remaining patties, adding 1/2 tbsp coconut oil.
- Sauce. While the patties are cooking, prepare the sauce. Add all the ingredients to the bowl of your food processor or blender, and process until smooth (if using a blender, you might need to add a little bit more water).
- Top patties with sauce, and serve warm.
Notes: Save some time and cook the quinoa and prepare mashed sweet potatoes a few days ahead!