Recipe type: Burger, Vegetarian, Gluten Free, Vegan Friendly
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 50 mins
Total Time: 1 hr 10 mins
Yield: 20 BOMBS (4 SERVINGS)
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 1/4 cup fresh finely chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green onion
- 1 teaspoon chili garlic sauce
- large pinch of salt (omit if using salted peanut butter)
- 3/4 cup crushed roasted peanuts, plus more for topping
- 6-8 large carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- Peanut Sauce (see notes)
- fresh cilantro
- lime juice
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Pat dry the drained and rinsed chickpeas with a paper towel then arrange them on the baking sheet. Bake in the oven for 12 minutes to dehydrate, then set aside to cool.
- Transfer the cooled chickpeas to the bowl of a food processor and pulse on low to pulverize. Alternatively, you can mash them with a fork. Lightly grease the lined baking sheet then set aside to use later.
- Add the chickpea mixture along with the remaining ingredients to a large bowl and stir to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Add more crushed peanuts if the mixture is too wet. This will depend on how moist the quinoa is or how oily the peanut butter is.
- Scoop out a heaping tablespoon of the mixture at a time and use your hands to roll it into balls. Coat the balls in the crushed peanuts then arrange them on the lightly greased baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes, then gently turn/flip them and bake for another 10-15 minutes. The longer they cook, the firmer they will get. Allow to cool at least 10 minutes.
- Serve the meatballs over carrot noodles with peanut sauce, fresh cilantro, and lime juice. Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Everyday Cooking by Dana Schultz – http://minimalistbaker.com/